Friday, 8 March 2013

Blue Roses ...



Did you know you cannot grow blue roses? Don’t worry, 8C is going to teach you how to create blue roses!


1. Cut a white rose and put it in a small vase.
2.  Put some blue food colouring in the water in the vase.
3. Leave it for 12 hours.
4. Boom! You’ve got a blue rose!


Today in science we looked at flower stems and how they supply the water to the flower. The water travels through the stem and feeds the flower. I found it interesting that because the flowers had been cut from their plant 9 hours before the flower was thirsty. We put in some red food colouring and in just 10 minutes the white roses started to turn a peachy colour. We did the same with the blue colouring and it had the same effect. I found the roses surprising as blue is not a colour of roses in nature.


Some facts about blue roses from Wikipedia

Blue roses, often portrayed in literature and art as a symbol of love and prosperity to those who seek it, do not exist in nature as a result of genetic limitations being imposed upon natural variance.


Written by N.


Blue and Red Roses
 

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi 8C,

    Can you remember the names of the two tubes that transport the water and nutrients through the plant?

    Five dojo points for first person to answer! Ha ha! :)

    Mrs C-M

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 dojo points for Juliette, Abby, Nadia, Mackenzie....you got your comments up really fast! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My question is will I get some blue roses today?

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was really fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oosh that sounds AWESOME!!!!
    My Favourite Colour is Blue
    ans Ive always wanted to see
    A blue rose. My Mum has A whole
    lot of roses in her garden so I might
    take some and turn them Blue!!!

    Ella,
    I can post a video up on how to do that :) but the version you saw isnt actually the correct way of doing it :P I will ask my teacher if he can put up the actual thing of me doing it and I will also ask him if I can put up a video of me teaching you how to do it :)

    Elizabeth
    Room 5
    Melville Int. School
    Hamilton

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. We love hearing from you!

8C