Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Maus- Art Spiegelman. A book review by Maddie P


This Term, we have been doing a unit on Graphic Novels



In our class, we were split up into two groups. One group has been reading the book Bone, Out of Boneville and the other group reading Maus by Art Speigelman. 



I found Maus very interesting. Art Spiegelman, the author, has cleverly written this book all in comic strips and using animals to show the events that took place in World War 2. All of the races are portrayed as animals, the Jews being mice, the Poles being pigs, the Nazis being cats and the Allies being dogs. 

Look at the way Art Speigelman has used animals to tell the story. 

I found this novel powerful in the way it was written, a true story from Art Spiegelman’s father. This book illustrates events of Vladek Spiegelman's life and how he felt during the Holocaust. Even though at times the book was slightly confusing, I really liked it. I think that the author used mice to show weakness and helplessness and I think that the cats showed power, killing and domination. 




I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a war stories, comics or non-fiction. Even if you do not enjoy Graphic Novels, I think that you should give this book a go because you might be surprised by how much you like it.

I give this book a 4 out of 5!

Share what you think below!

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading Maus, and it was really how Art Speigelman used animals for the characters. What was your favourite part?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen,
      I quite like the bit about Anja's suicide comic. Even though it was dark it showed the emotions that Art went through!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Maddie. My name is Lititia. I am in one of your quadblogging buddies class, Which is Mr Hickeys. I usually never read comics or war stories but this story sounds great. It sounds great how you have described parts of the story and made it sound like an awesome book. I sure would love to read Maus. We can't wait to skype you guys! I have a blog of my own so if you want to see what I get up to in class my blog link is down below.

    http://lititiadcmcwatt.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm a year 8 student at Awahono school and my name is George and this book sounds really good. I really like reading war comics and things about the war so this is something I would definitely read. Here is my blog url please comment http://georgengibson.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my name is Jordan from Awahono school. The way you explained that war book sounds like a great book and I would really enjoy reading it. Also, thanks for commenting on our athletics Elphaba. This is my blog url. Please comment http://jordantknight.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. We love hearing from you!

8C