Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Aria's Passion Project- Learn to Sign

Aria’s Personal Passion Project

BLOGCOLLAGE.jpg
My Goal:
My goal was to learn sign language and teach my fellow peers. I taught private lessons and the money I charged for that is going to the deaf unit at Freyberg High School. I chose to do this as my project because I have a deaf grandad who can’t talk so I wanted a way to communicate with him. Also my late nana taught at the deaf unit at Freyberg High School and earned a Queen’s Service Medal so I wanted to raise money for them.
Research:
Basically my research was learning New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) I used most of my spare time in the term 1 holiday to practice my NZSL and I also still practice new terms and words every so often. I learnt it by using websites that my mum found for me and a book that my grandad gave me.  When I let the girls I teach choose what they learn I have to learn some new words too!

My Next Steps:
My mum managed to arrange for me a day at the deaf unit at Freyberg on the 1st of July. I am looking forward to that I am also giving my money to them on that day.
I need to arrange with Mrs Compton-Moen and Miss Fairhall to teach my class a couple of skills.





4 comments:

  1. Hi Aria,

    Wow, that is such an awesome topic. I liked your post and your digital presentation.
    Do you have conversations with your family in sign language? My sisters and I do, it is so much fun.
    I can't wait to see it be presented!

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aria,
    That is so cool! I can't wait for you to teach the class some sign language! What has been a challange for you so far? I can't wait to see your end product!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Aria! You have done a lot for the past term! I really think that this idea is going to wow everyone! Do you want to continue doing sign language lessons? Do you want to keep it up as a hobby?

    Ella :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aria,

    You have done so much so far and are so organised. I loved learning sign language. What has been a challenge for you? You did so well raising $500.

    Enya

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. We love hearing from you!

8C