Thursday, 3 August 2017

Ready Set Design



Hi! I am Emma and my for my Passion Project I am designing a new school uniform for our school.

What my plan of action is:
I began with the plan of designing a school uniform and making all the uniforms, but in the end I changed it so I would design the uniforms and then write a information booklet that explains the rules and cost of the uniforms. I also would like to include scraps of the materials that would be used and an in-depth explanation of why I chose to design this.

Multipurpose Brochure Template

My Goal:  
My goal is to make sure the majority of the students in the school would enjoy wearing the uniforms, feel confident and comfortable and finally feel like there is a bit of their opinion in the designs. I also want to make the blue and brown equally the school colour not one way more than the other but equal.

Why I did this:
You may think I just chose this passion project with an idea of designing a new uniform because I don’t like the ones we have now. But it goes much deeper than that. I wanted to make the students feel heard. School uniforms is designed by adults, without the consultant of students, and do those adults have to wear the uniforms? Though the adults have spent years practicing and training to design these uniforms it doesn’t really affect them on a personal level. I thought that if us students got a say in what we wore at school and felt like their decisions were part of the uniform they might enjoy and also feel more confident in wearing their uniforms.
Where I am:
I have finished my basically finished my designs now and just need to work on my designs for the hockey and netball uniform. I found, since I have a lack of hockey knowledge, I need to talk to more girls who play hockey on what they want. I also need to colour the designs (I know what the colours are I just need to add that to the designs).

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Wow Emma! That sounds awesome. It's such a good idea, especially to include the booklet. It sounds like a lot of fun. I can't wait to see the finished uniforms! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Isis! I really appreciate the support!

      Delete
  2. Hi Emma,

    You are doing a great job of this project. I love your passion for design and the way you are carefully thinking through how to create a uniform that is practical and the girls love wearing and feel proud of.

    It is great that you have been surveying the girls and collecting their voice as they are the ones who will need to wear it. I know you've had some challenges in getting touch with the designer but that's also good learning as you've had to find a solution yourself.

    I can't wait to see the finished product.

    Mrs C-M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really excited for everyone to see the finished designs!

      Delete
  3. Hello Emma

    As your mentor, I have had the privilege of seeing your conceptual sketches for uniform possibilities. I loved the fact that you were bringing an element of choice to the uniform by designing a ranges of clothing pieces. You have researched other schools and consulted students and come up with some great alternatives, while still retaining those Selwyn House traditions!

    Well done Emma!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. We love hearing from you!

8C